We welcome registrations from parents of tamariki / children who attend school or are home schooled. If you are a Home School whānau, please go ahead and complete our online registration form, or see here for more information about how we work.
If you have tamariki in school and are keen for them to participate with us during the school day you will find the following information helpful.
Here at the VLN Primary School we are committed to developing collaborative and open relationships with schools in order to provide the best learning opportunities for all learners/ākonga. You may be keen for your children/tamariki to experience additional learning opportunities with us that are otherwise unavailable, but may be unsure on how to approach the subject with the school. We recommend that in the first instance you approach the school and discuss the idea. You may be pleasantly surprised by the response.
We are pleased to say that we have found schools are more than happy to support parental registrations as they recognise the potential to enrich a child’s learning experience, particularly when it relates to the child’s native language. We have learners with family from South Africa, Germany and France who participate successfully in Afrikaans, German and French classes during their school day and Principals are often only too pleased to support this.
Thank you so much for making this happen! It is awesome! We will do whatever we can to ensure our young men can access the lessons.
The School’s Commitment
Schools who have parental registrations with us make the following commitments:
- To support the learner with accessing a quiet space for 30 minutes a week in order to participate.
- To make available a laptop or chromebook with ZOOM web conferencing software installed and a stable internet connection (or the child uses their own).
- To support the child with remembering to attend each week.
Parental / Learner Commitment
Parents make the commitment to support their tamariki with doing an additional 30 minutes of learning each week. We use web based resources to support this, including our WeLearn online space and Google Classrooms.
Tamariki make the commitment to ensure that they attend each class on time, are organised with the equipment (that it is charged etc), do the work and activities each week and keep up with the classwork they miss whilst attending the online class.
How much does it cost?
- Approach your tamariki’s school Principal to let them know that you are interested in your child/ren participating in an online class with the VLN Primary School and that you have asked us to get in touch.
- Contact us with the School’s name and the Principal’s contact details and we will get in touch with them to introduce ourselves and to explain what we do.
- Once we receive the ‘ok’ to go ahead from the school we need you to complete our online registration form and to send us your child’s details. Full details are on the form.
- Once this has been done we will then contact the classroom teacher and set up the device. We will also organise a practice session with the device to ensure everything is installed properly and works smoothly. This can be organised after school if the learner will be using their own device.
- We will only invoice you once classes have started.
We hope that this clarifies how our parental enrolment system works. If you have any questions or need more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.