The VLN Primary initiative works in partnership with the Ministry of Education, who fund our operational base and participating schools who contribute the curriculum. By contributing a teacher or resourcing a programme your ākonga can choose from a wide range of learning opportunities shared through our network. This kaupapa of reciprocity underpins the non-profit cost model that we call the ‘Kete Economy’. All participating schools contribute, to enable the sustainability of learning opportunities for all students.
Contributions to the VLN Primary can be the provision of an eteacher and programme of learning or project OR the funding of participation as outlined below (per student or class). In addition annual membership is levied for each participating school. This will be reviewed and set each year by the Governance Group in consultation with schools.
Participation costs are:
$340.00 per annum
1. Provision of an eteacher/programme of learning
2. Small groups/individuals – (less than 8 students)
$68.00 per student, per class participation cost
(Student participation cost enables a student to be registered in one class for one or two semesters.)
3. Whole class – (8 or more students but no more than a regular school class size)
$818.00 per 15 week semester
4. Taster Classes – 5 weeks
$273.00 – whole class participation in online classes of 5 weeks duration.
No membership fee for first taster class for new schools.
** If participants choose to continue for the Semester annual membership fees then apply (above).
5. Children registered and supported by their parents (i.e. outside of the school) will contribute:
$205.00 per student, per semester (15 weeks) for the first class
$68.00 each additional class
$68.00 each additional family member.
(Fees must be paid in full by the end of the third week of class starting, unless other arrangements are made.)
Korean classes are free* for 2022. The Korean Education Centre (KEC) is sponsoring classes for 2022 so teaching costs are covered. VLN Primary membership costs still apply. *Free classes are subject to availability.
If funding is a barrier to participation for your school please contact us for advice. This resource will assist you in finding a community funding provider.
Terms for Participation
- All costs and fees are GST exclusive.
- Participation costs and 50% of the membership cost are refundable up until the timetable is finalised and classes have commenced, thereafter these fees are non-refundable.
- Schools who begin their participation mid year or later will have a reduction in membership fee of 50%.
- Per student participation costs enables a student to be registered in one class for one semester or a whole year. This is not transferable between students.
- Reciprocity value of a school’s eteacher contribution will be based on 12 student registrations into VLN Primary classes – per semester or per full year. Reciprocity through eteacher contribution is dependent on having sufficient registrations to run the programme being offered.
- Principals of participating schools who are contributing eteachers should provide release for them of at least one hour a week.
- Some classes may have costs attached (such as for practical materials). It is the responsibility of the student’s home school to make payment to the provider for any associated costs.
- Schools are requested to include their VLN Primary participation in their own school planning, strategic goals and reporting. Principals, eteachers, and school support people should endeavour to consult with and give feedback to VLN Primary School Governance Group, personnel and the MoE.
- Participating VLN Primary schools must complete a formal Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) ensuring their commitment to these Protocols of Participation each year. This can be completed within the registration document.
- Any disputes should be directed through the ePrincipal to the Governance Group.